Welcome to Gothenburg - the Region of Sustainable Growth
Gothenburg has made an impressive journey during the past thirty something years.
Once namned "the forecourt to hell", due to heavy traffic and poor air quality, a conscious effort was initiated to implement rectification measures, including initiatives to improve the city's air quality.
Today, the Gothenburg region is at the forefront, working strategically on the development of sustainable solutions.
Here you find an extensive track record of cutting edge solutions in the field of sustainable development.
• A comprehensive district heating and cooling system has meant that less than one per cent of Gothenburg´s heating or cooling is generated with the use of oil.
• Gothenburg has one of the world´s largest producers of climate-friendly biogas, which is injected into the natural gas grid.
• The refineries in Gothenburg are the most energy-efficient in the world.
• The Volvo Trucks production plant in Gothenburg is evolving into a completely carbon dioxide-free facility.
• The region has developed a pioneering technique for constructing buildings that are totally independent of external energy for heating.
• Development of the world´s largest gasification biomethane production plant — GoBiGas.
• Chalmers University of Technology and Gothenburg University, are at the forefront in environmental research and many other programs in the environmental field.
• The Port of Gothenburg is a world leader in high-voltage on shore power supply.